Every person needs a balanced diet to be healthy. But when you are suffering from diabetes, this thing becomes more necessary for you. In sugar disease, many types of problems have to be faced with food, such as what to eat and what not to eat?
So today we will tell you which foods should be included in the food of sugar and which foods should not be eaten.
Eat healthy fat diet in diabetes –
Not all types of fats are bad for diabetic patients. There are also some good fats, which are very beneficial for the cells. Apart from this, good fats also help in the problem of heart disease. Heart disease is common in diabetes. Therefore, eating good fat is very useful for diabetics.
The following foods should be eaten in diabetes
You get good fat from them –
- Fish, fish liver oil, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds,
- Flax seeds, sesame seeds, tofu, spinach, walnuts, soya, and oysters, etc.
- For saturated fats, eat these foods in limited quantities like ghee, butter, cream, coconut oil, etc. Along with this, you can also take a limited amount of skinless chicken and low-fat milk. Apart from this, use the methods of baking, roasting, broiling, etc. to cook foods.
The following foods should be eaten in moderation in diabetes
They contain a lot of fat –
- Sweets like Laddu, Jalebi, Gulab Jamun etc.
- Banana, Potato, Jackfruit chips etc.
Eat good carbohydrates in diabetes-
Carbohydrate is a food item that contains sugar and fiber. What type of carbohydrates you are eating and what time you are eating is very important for you. Eating more carbohydrates in food increases the amount of sugar in the blood. So eat a limited amount of carbohydrates in your diet. If you are a victim of diabetes, eat very small carbohydrates, and eat high amounts of fiber-rich food. This will control your blood sugar level.
Some foods are rich in fiber –
Vegetables – Cauliflower, spinach, corn, sweet potato, green beans, broccoli, mustard greens, carrots, dried beans, peas, etc.
Fruits – apple, banana, berry, mango, papaya, pineapple, guava, watermelon, pomegranate, etc.
Grains – Whole Wheat, Gram Flour, Brown Rice, Bajra Roti, Dosa, Masoor Dal, etc.
Dry fruits and seeds – almonds, cashew, pistachios, etc.
Do or do not eat these foods in very small amounts –
Jam, sugar, jaggery, honey, ice cream, chocolate, pudding, laddus, jelly etc. These foods contain high amounts of fat and sugar. By eating more of them, the level of sugar in the blood becomes very high. So, before eating any such type of food, contact your doctor.
Eat protein in diabetes –
Protein is very essential for your body. However, one should avoid high carbohydrate and fat foods while incorporating protein in their diet as excess fat and carbohydrates are very harmful for diabetic patients.
Include these foods in your diet for protein –
- Moong Dal
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chicken, fish etc.
Fruits for diabetics –
Fruits are very beneficial for diabetics. But people with sugar should take care of some things while eating fruits. For example, eat fruits with less sugar. Along with this, eat only 1 to 2 fruits in a day. If not necessary, do not peel the fruit. Apart from this, keep in mind that there is a time period of 2 hours before meals or after meals and between eating fruits. Do not drink fruit juice, fruit milk or coconut water.
Fruit Chart for Sugar Patients
Fruit What amount to eat
Gooseberry 4 to 5 in the whole day
Orange Only 1
apple 1 or 100 grams in the whole day.
papaya 2 pieces
Cherry 10 pieces on the whole day
Peach only 1
Dates 4 pieces
Pear Only 1
Fig 1 or 2 in the whole day
plum 2 on the whole day
guava 1 small
Strawberry 5 or 6 pieces
Jackfruit 2 to 3 small pieces
Java Plum 10 pieces on the whole day
watermelon 2 large pieces
Melon 1 large piece
Pomegranate Half or 100 grams
litchi 10 pieces on the whole day
Vegetables for diabetes patients
Vegetables are very good sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Fiber-rich vegetables are very beneficial for diabetic patients. Apart from this, eating at least two large tablespoons of vegetables daily strengthens your immunity and also helps in reducing weight.
Eat the following types of vegetables for high amounts of fiber –
Spinach, cauliflower, peas, capsicum, gourd, onion, garlic, celery, beans, brinjal, lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli etc.
Dairy products for diabetes patients
Dairy products contain high amounts of calcium, vitamins, and protein. Also, low-fat or fat-free dairy foods are not harmful to diabetics because eating fat-free foods keeps blood sugar levels controlled.
Eat these foods as a dairy product –
- low-fat milk
- Egg white
- Fat-free yogurt and without flavored soya milk etc.
Diabetics can eat plenty of these foods
By adopting the following vegetarian diet, diabetics can reduce blood sugar levels and become fit and healthy. Apart from this, you can eat this diet plan in abundance.
Eat the following foods in plenty –
- Tomato, onion, cucumber, cabbage, carrots and capsicum salad.
- Clear Soup (Do not add corn flavor, butter or any kind of spice).
- Buttermilk (3 parts water + one part yogurt).
- Lentil water
- Lime juice sugarless
- Sugar-free gelatin
- Natural spices like ginger, garlic, mint, coriander etc.
- Drink at least 9 to 10 glasses of water daily.
Eat these foods in small amounts in diabetes
Eat less of the following foods –
- Grains like- roti, rice, jowar, millet, ragi etc.
- Pulses and cereal mixture- A mixture of pulses and cereals like idli, dhokla, khichdi, dal, etc.
- Makhani Milk (Skimmed Milk) and Paneer.
- 1 or 2 of the fruits mentioned above.
- White meat such as fish or chicken (skinless).
- Vegetables are less cooked and use refined oil to cook it.
Do not eat these foods in diabetes
Do not eat these foods at all in diabetes –
- Sugar, glucose, jaggery, honey and sweets. Apart from this, do not eat foods like cream biscuits, ice cream, cakes, chocolate, pastries, jam, jelly etc.
- Oil pickles, fried papad, sago etc.
- Fried foods – Namkeen, Vada, Kachori etc. Apart from this, do not eat foods like butter, milk cream, cheese, mayonnaise, coconut, peanuts, dry fruits, egg yolk, fried chicken and fish. Also, keep in mind that non-vegetarian food is very harmful for diabetes patients.
- Do not drink cold drinks, hard drinks, syrup etc.
- Fruits like banana, mango, chiku, custard apple, fruit juice, fruit milk shake and coconut water etc.
- Some vegetables like – potato, sweet potato, yam and raw banana etc.
Diet Tips for Diabetes
To control sugar, follow the instructions given below and normalize the sugar level.
Diabetes patients should keep in mind the following things –
- Use a minimum of oil while cooking. Also use baking, roasting or boiling methods for cooking. First cook the vegetable in a pressure cooker and after cooking add seasoning to it. Along with this, children should also get into the habit of eating vegetables, because many children have a genetic problem of sugar.
- Heat the milk and refrigerate by keeping it in the fridge. After cooling, separate the cream into the milk. Repeat the first method to make its Avala tea, coffee, yogurt, cheese and buttermilk.
- Soak 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water overnight and eat before breakfast. Similarly, soak 2 spoons of fenugreek seeds in water in the morning and eat it before going to bed at night.
Follow these habits in sugar disease –
- Do not eat sugary foods. Use plenty of artificial sweetener.
- Drink a detox drink every morning.
- Be sure to include vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Eat homemade cake, remember to use very little sugar or artificial sweetener when making it.
- When hungry, try to erase it with water, fruit juice or buttermilk.
- Eat dry fruits but in moderation.
- Do exercise daily
- Ask your doctor about how much your balanced weight should be. If you are overweight, then exercise to balance it.
Take these precautions in sugar disease –
- Do not eat foods rich in salt.
- In any case, do not forget to have breakfast. (Read more – Disadvantages of not having breakfast)
- Do not use too much oil while cooking.
- Do not eat sweets or cakes. Do not eat pastries with too much sugar.
- Sleep early at night and wake up early in the morning.
- Do not eat foods with bad cholesterol and bad fats.
- Stay away from excessive anxiety or stress.
Follow the diet plan given above and live a healthy life by keeping the sugar level in check.
Warning: Do not adopt a diet plan without the doctor’s advice.